During the summer of 2020, The Message Trust were moved to respond to the huge need the pandemic was creating by establishing a Community Grocery in Wythenshawe. The goal was to address food poverty in the community and also seek to introduce people to Jesus and connect them with a local church.
Now over 2000 people are members of Community Grocery in Wythenshawe and the model has been rolled out in various other locations across the UK.
Towards the end of 2020, Life Church began to talk with other churches and organisations about bringing a Community Grocery to Burnley in partnership with The Message Trust.
The Community Grocery will employ two members of staff, have lots of volunteer opportunities and seek to connect people with other opportunities like Alpha, CAP, Life Groups, befriending, youth, kids and family activities and Sunday gatherings.
The Community Grocery will be open Monday – Friday from 9.30am – 4.30pm. People pay £5 a year to become members and pay £3 per shop and are able to shop twice a week. Customers choose from a selection of food items as we seek to lift people out of food poverty and give them dignity as they shop.
You can play your part by:
- the Community Grocery comes with two paid positions, if you’re interested you can apply here now
- applying to be a volunteer. Email us at [email protected] if you’re interested
- donating food as an individual, family or business
- sponsoring someone else’s membership and paying for others shopping
- spreading the word and letting people know!
You can read more about Community Grocery at www.communitygrocery.org.uk